Vanderbilt University, located in Nashville, Tennessee, is a top-15 private research university.
The Business Analyst is an experienced professional capable of analyzing financial and operational business data and offering detailed analysis and solutions.
The Business Analyst is an experienced professional capable of analyzing financial and operational business data and offering detailed analysis and solutions that can be acted upon in partnership with HR and Business Services leadership. This position requires the ability to work independently and take initiative while working effectively as a member of the People and Business Services team. The primary purpose of this position is to provide business analysis, including metrics/dashboards and communications expertise in support of business process management and improvement for People and Business Services operating units as directed. This position also monitors and maintains both budget and process data and provides updates to senior management on current trends and projections. People and Business Services consists of ten operating units with annual budgets totaling $62 million.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining key performance reports and dashboards, harvesting and combining data from a variety of enterprise and department-level applications to provide analysis of effectiveness and drive operational decision making
- Turn data into insightful findings and business recommendations
- Work with department leaders to assess requirements, design queries and reports, and model data needs in a variety of applications, including Oracle OTBI
- Identifying performance gaps to enable improvements business performance and/or customer satisfaction
- Document internal process flows for evaluation of streamlining opportunities
- Participate in medium/large ad-hoc projects and communicate status updates to key stakeholders
- Gather requirements for reports/dashboards, proof-of-concepts
- Proactively communicate ideas and opportunities; drive process improvement and quality control for key deliverables
- Understand data structures and the requirements to support visualization efforts
- Develop methodologies for aggregating results from various programs and systems
- Ensure that underlying data for performance dashboards and reports is accurate and consistent with enterprise systems (data integrity)
- Support development of annual capital and operating budgets
- Perform analyses to identify trends
- Continuously look for improvements, monitor quality levels, and manage reporting
- A Bachelor's degree is required
- 3-5 years relevant experience is required
- Advanced skills in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) are required.
- Experience with SQL strongly preferred
- Must be highly analytical, detail-oriented, and have a passion for generating actionable business insights from data trends
- Creatively finds solutions to potential challenges
- Excellent communication skills, focusing on clarity and the ability to explain complex concepts to stakeholders of various backgrounds
- Have a high degree of curiosity and initiative for creating meaningful information from disparate data elements
- Highly self-motivated, professional with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and demanding environment with minimal supervision and ambiguity
- Experience with project management and experience working on projects related to organizational development and/or performance improvement
- Knowledge of data collection and retrieval methods for quality assurance, performance, and outcome measures
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.