Remote Software Engineer
LifeWay is the world's largest provider of Christian resources. LifeWay IT is as innovative with technology solutions as we are with work-life balance, environment, and culture.
Remote Software Engineer
In this role you will create, implement, and maintain the necessary components and services for a modern, sophisticated digital reading and Bible study application and its companion ecommerce site.
LifeWay is the world's largest provider of Christian resources, and we are expanding our global footprint having recently incorporated in India and Mexico. As one of 2018 Forbes Best Midsize Employers and Best Employers for Women and one of the largest IT teams in Nashville, LifeWay IT is as innovative with technology solutions as we are with employee work-life balance, work environment, and culture. This position offers a fully remote work opportunity, flexible hours, and 10% self-development time every week.
We are looking for a highly collaborative, full-stack developer with strong front-end skills who is motivated and interested in building applications and services in modern, functional programming paradigms. In this role you will create, implement, and maintain the necessary components and services for a modern, sophisticated digital reading and Bible study application (https://app.wordsearchbible.com/) as well as its companion ecommerce site (https://www.wordsearchbible.com). You will work independently while also participating in a very collaborative environment with teammates from various backgrounds coming together to solve challenging problems as a team. Therefore, a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and product quality is important.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate our core values of being trustworthy, collaborative, comprehensive, transformational, passionate, and innovative.
- Designs and codes technical digital solutions (i.e., develops software solutions)
- Troubleshoots and resolves technical problems
- Performs unit testing and test-driven development (TDD)
- Develops and improves relationships with internal customers and other divisional teams
- Collaborates with internal and external departments to accomplish various tasks and projects
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years experience in development and maintenance roles with an IT organization
- Superior analytical, problem solving, and creative thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) - the ability to effectively communicate with other members of the development team as well as other team stakeholders who may be less technical
- Ability to collaborate and interact well with employees at a technical and non-technical level
- Knowledge of Agile (Scrum and/or Kanban) methodologies
Technical Skills and Knowledge
- Git/github experience
- Willingness to learn functional programming paradigm (including Scala)
- Experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services) or other cloud technology experience is a plus
- Experience with CI/CD tools is a plus
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails is a plus