The Business Intelligence team has big plans for 2019 and beyond, and we need a great data engineer to help us accomplish our goals.
As a company, we’ve always known that data is the core of our business, but we haven’t focused enough time and resources on this critical asset to leverage it in ways to take our business to the next level. Moving forward, we don’t just want to use our data to power our day to day lead generation efforts, we want more! We want to leverage our data to gain better insights into the technology buying market, drive more efficient conversations with technology buyers, help our sales team build programs for our clients that will produce the highest quality leads, and ultimately offer our data in new and innovative product offerings (not just as the engine powering the lead gen machine).
As TechnologyAdvice's data engineer, the right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company's data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives. The data engineer will recommend and implement ways to improve data reliability, efficiency, and quality. We need a data engineer who holds data hygiene in high regard and lives by the old saying “garbage in, garbage out” who will ensure we operate under best practices when implementing data into our database from multiple sources.
- Prototyping internal data utilities to enhance and support various business units. As the Subject Matter Expert on all of the data * resources we have available, your unique perspective and capabilities will be invaluable for leveraging our data resources in new and innovative ways to drive value for the business
- Developing guidelines, standards, and processes to ensure the highest data quality and integrity in the data stores residing on the data repository
- Designing, building, and maintaining data models used by our BI visualization platform, Tableau
- Building and maintaining data integrations with third-party systems
- Identifying and executing on opportunities for automating relevant data processes
- Building and maintaining ETL processes and data dictionaries between our production systems and AWS Redshift
- Collaborating with our software engineering team to ensure proper change management for ETL processes and data models
Proven, professional experience with:
- Managing data with AWS Redshift (that's the main playground for the BI team)
- Designing, building, and maintaining both new and existing data systems and solutions
- Understanding of ETL processes and how they function
- Ability to learn and work with Python as needed. While we're not picky about your choice of language for any particular task (we have production code running in Python, PHP, Bash, AWK, and NodeJS), Python is the way of the data world and experience with it would be beneficial
- Be inquisitive and innovative: the desire to say "let's do this!" and the ability to do what's needed to follow through
- The ability to communicate clearly and succinctly with all levels of experience and knowledge. You could take a complex problem and break it down to a 5th grader if you had to. Inversely, if you had to explain something to our Director of IT Solutions, you know your stuff and can speak to the technical decisions that impact your work.
- A sixth sense for detecting data defects, anomalies, and risks
- Ability to adapt and learn quickly is a fundamental necessity
- Enjoy working in fast-paced, collaborative environments
- Wants to understand the data, not just the pipelines pushing it around. Can definitely perform some analytics and build some dashboards (because you like to, not just when you have to)
- Ability to work independently. While you'll collaborate with and have the full support of our business intelligence and software engineering teams, most projects will be worked on independently. Be comfortable and proactive asking questions and seeking additional help if needed to accomplish goals.
Perks and Benefits:
- Comprehensive health insurance (medical, dental, vision, life and disability)
- 401k retirement plan with company match
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Weekly career development meetings for your first 60 days
- Bucket list benefit on each work anniversary
- Gym Membership reimbursement
- Monthly team outings and volunteer opportunities
- Professional development opportunities and incentives (book clubs, monthly learning series, Leadership Academy and more!)
- Catered lunches 4 days a week
- Coffee, soda, snacks, ping pong, and beer on Fridays